Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Elder Nelson comes for a visit!!

I´m glad to hear the dog flosses his teeth too!

Today we went to the temple! What a difference from the dirty noisy polluted streets I walk on every day.

Speaking about floss, I feel like my character is being flossed out this week, if you have any idea what I mean.

We´ve been finding some cool people and even a married couple!! Yeah for sure, we are really excited. The husband, Carlos, is very interested and his wife tries to shoo us away when he isn´t there. But little by little we hope to soften her up.

I had my first bump in with some... rude people! Everyone here is really nice and let's us in their house. Last night for the first time, we taught some people that laughed at us and said that we are foolish little boys who don't know anything, and that Joseph Smith is of the Devil. It´s interesting that some people are so against what we do... sometimes I wonder what inspires them. I came on the mission expecting to have stuff like that every day, but I actually found (the Dominican Republic people are) some of the nicest, more open, and respectful people ever! The only hard thing is that so few of them know how to read.

But last week we found one who did know how to read, very well! He only went to school until first grade, but he taught himself with his friends in the street. His name is Fabio, and got out of Rehab about a year ago. He said the “Mormons” used to visit him in Rehab. We were walking in the street and our feet were roastin', and he said, “hey come rest here in the shade for a second.” My companion invited him to listen a little to our message and he said, “yes”. We now have 2 weeks, and yesterday he said to us something cool. We asked him to read the Book of Mormon, and to pray, and he did. We asked him how he felt and he said he felt cool inside, he felt good. He said he felt that way since the first visit, and is sure that what we teach to him is good. He accepted to be baptised on the 12th of next month. I like teaching on his patio where 30 chickens are getting chased by his puppy and all the cats. We really enjoy sitting in his patio under the shade of the mango and banana tree.

Oh and I totally forgot, this week, Elder Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve (Apostles) came to our mission and spoke to us. Me and 6 other elders sang a cool song, and Elder Nelson liked it so much that he called my mission president and he called each one of us to say thanks! It was an awesome conference.


Hope you all have a super week!

love
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment